Wednesday, July 6, 2011

There and back again...

Big Carl hasn't been all that busy as of late, but has started to dust off his brim.  His last trip here was back in April.  Since then, some worthy notes are as follows:

*Villa Antinori Toscana: 2006 
I gave this wine a grade of 7/10pts.
It has a heavy body and is very oaky.  I would always pass by it in the store and always wanted it because it's a super blend:
60% Sangiovese, 20% Cabernet Savignon, 15% Merlot, 5% Syrah
This wine is from the Antinori vinyards in Tuscany.  I would buy again but was a little expensive at $22 a bottle.

                                              
*Ruffino: Orvieto Classico- 2010
I gave a grade of 6+/10
This is another wine from Tuscany.  I thought i t would be like a pinot grigio but it was much heavier.  was very surprised.  It was light and crisp with a pleasant bouquet and heavy body.  Drank with chicken and pickle sauce.  Perfect accompaniment.

*KRIS- Pinot Grigio 2009

I gave this wine a grade of 5+/6- of 10
This is a very light and crisp Pinot.  It has a light body and very easy to drink.  Had it chilled.  The flavor was that of a light pineapple/pear with very little acidity.  Drank at Navy Pier in Chicago. Perfect dinker on a HOT evening!

*VAMPIRE: Pinot Noir 2007

Grade: 5/10
This is a very basic ipnot.  Nothing special here.  It was a bit rough as first, but becomes easier to drink as it breathes.  Honestly, I got it because of its name and I enjoyed it years ago!  Now that my tastes have changed this was hard to choke down at first.  NOTE:  This wine MUST breathe!!!

*RAZA Reserva- Malbec 2009
Grade: 8+/9- of 10
This vintage was very similar to the 2008 but seemed to be a bit softer.  It is another easy drinker with a delicate but full body.  Flavor consists of berry notes and a smokey vanilla.
I drank with baked garlic/ginger pork chops which accompanied perfectly!!!
I will without a doubt purchase this again AFTER I have the 2010 vintage.


*Toasted Head- Untamed White 2010
Grade: 8/8+ of 10
Fantastic white blend: 70% Viognier, 27% Chardonnay, 3% Moscato
I always seem to naturally gravitate towards California wines for some reason, however this one is among the top.  It was easy to drink with a nice medium body.  I've never had "viognier" by itself so unsure what it really tastes like.  This blend had the dryness of the chardoney and the light sweetness of the moscato.
It was crisp yet buttery...fruity and creamy.  According to the bottle, the barrel heads are toasted with fire.
This helps to create the distinctive toasty flavor in the wine.






So there you have it: Big Carl's latest journey!
If you are going to follow in his footsteps, I would recommend wearing some sensible shoes...

No comments:

Post a Comment