Monday, January 30, 2012

End of day love affair

Today is the start of a new week.  Over the course of this past weekend, I was on call with the hospital and ended up working approx 22 hours- PURE exhaustion.  So, today I carefully brought out Big Carl and told him we're going on a date...an evening love affair.  He graciously agreed:

VERDEMAR
Albarino 2009
Bodegas: Montecillo
Spain

Grade: 7+/8-
I am pleasantly surprised by this wine.  I had an Albarino once in the past and have been searching locally for one.  Stopped at the local grocer and found this little treasure of gold!  With a beautiful golden rod color, it has a wonderful pear and floral bouquet with a touch of mineral.  It has a rather quick front with a beautiful and surprisingly long and clean finish.  The finish is where you can really notice the pear and the touch of mineral, of which was strangely enjoyable.  Even noticed a bit of citrus. In a way it reminds me of a cross between an pinot grigio and sauvignon blanc.  Has similar aspects, but truly is in it's own league.  It's crisp, refreshing, and overall delightful.  At only $13 a bottle, I will be going towards this again.  What can I say?  Spain has it going on :)...OE LAY...

1 comment:

  1. The pear flavor you describe in this wine is intriguing. I'm not a big wine drinker (or drinker in general) but this sounds like one I wouldn't mind sampling myself.

    ReplyDelete