Sunday, January 23, 2011

Rachael Ray is okay...(I guess)

I was at work one day on my break and Rachael Ray happened to be on tv.  I typically HATE watching her show because I find her to EXCRUCIATINGLY annoying, however on the afternoon of January 10, 2011, something caught my eye!
I have recently developed my palate to the delicacies of mushrooms; not the typicall button mushrooms (yuk), but WILD mushrooms (shitaki, oyster, portabello, etc).  On the episode aforementioned, she was making a dish called "Mushroom Tetrazzini" and it looked AMAZING so I quick jotted the name down and then when I got home looked it up online and went over to Devans and told him we HAVE to make this dish I saw on tv!  Here is the recipe.  There were a few things I ommitted and or changed to reflect what I had in the kitchen at the time.


INGREDIENTS
-1TBL olive oil
-2 TBL butter
-1 lbs white mushrooms, thinly sliced
-2TBL thyme
-1 large shallot, finely chopped
-3 or 4 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
-1/4 c dry sherry or Marsala
-1c cream
-1c grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
-1 pound fettuccine
-1c frozen peas, defrosted

PREPARATION
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil for pasta.  Once water is boiling, throw in pasta.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the mushrooms and thyme, and cook them till they are tender, occationally stirring ensuring an even coat of the butter/oil mix.  This will take about 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Add the shallots and garlic to the pan and saute another 4-5 minutes.
4. Once the shallots and garlic have begun to appear translucent, deglaze the pan with the sherry or marsala and give it a few nice good stirs.
5. Next stir in the cream and bring to a bubble then reduce the heat to low and simmer.
6.  The pasta should be just about done by this point.  Give it a check and if so, then add the cheese to the mushroom sauce constantly stirring to ensure all cheese gets melted and mixed in.
7.  Add in peas once cheese is melted.
8. Mix pasta and sauce and enjoy!

***NOTE***
I did not have fresh chopped thyme so I just used plain old thyme from my spice cabinet.  I also used about 1/4c of white onion in the shallots absence.  I had some Cabernet Sauvignon so I used that in place of the sherry/marsala and I didn't have peas so they were omitted!  I also used wild mushroom instead of the white button mushrooms.  Over all, this was a DELICIOUS dish and will continue to make!  It was very easy and highly recommended!  Devan decided to try his had at it the next day.  He added some pan seared chicken breast and spooned some of the sauce over it as well which really made this dish a little more hearty!

1 comment: