Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Supper Club 1/9/11

Supper club convened at Stevi's house.  Jenn was in charge of the main dish which consisted of Veggie Lasagna.  The base of the lasagna was butternut squash, which was surprisingly delicious as I had never had it before!  She also added a little nutmeg which gave it a nice sweet/savory flavor, and topped it with almonds!  Stevi had made a spinach salad and I was in charge of the appetizer and the wine.

A few months ago, I had gone to Bekins in Grand Haven for a private cooking class that was based around appetizers.  I had taken the course as I knew there would be many supper club evenings where I would need to make a dish.  At the class I learned about 10 different dishes, one of which I made for this night.

*Bacon wrapped shrimp skewer*
-1 bag precooked shrimp, detailed (as many as you want to serve)
-fresh pineapple, cubbed, one piece per shrimp
-bacon, cut lengthwise in half
-sweet & sour sauce
-garlic powder
-cayenne pepper powder
-salt
-toothpicks
-baking sheet

1. Take the toothpick and stab through the pineapple then stab through the head end of the shrimp so the pineapple is inside the curvature of the shrimp.
2. Wrap the strip of bacon around the shrimp/pineapple.
3. Place on baking sheet.
4. Repeat each step until all your shrimp are wrapped
5. Once all shrimps are wrapped, put into oven on middle rack and set to broil.
6. Broil shrimps until bacon has crisped, approx 10 min
7. Remove from oven and add sauce to the top of the shrimps, small dollip each

...SAUCE...
1. in a mixing bowl add approx 5-6 tablespoons of sweet & sour sauce.
2. Then add garlic powder, ceyanne pepper, and salt to taste.  If you like it hotter, add more pepper.  If you like salty, add more salt!
*NOTE: the actual recipe calls for an Asian Sweet Chili Sauce.  I did not have time to go to the store and get some, so I improvised and tried to make my own.  You can do either or!

My friends ate these within minutes!  Huge hit and very easy to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment